Thursday, August 1, 2013


10 questions with a creator:  Erick Osuna Cabral  by Steve Crowe.


1)      What is your position with Urban Myth Studios and what does that entail?

 I am a co-founder of the studio and President & Publisher. I work with our creators and try to publish the best books possible.

2)      Who are your favorite artists and where do you draw inspiration?

There’s way too many to list all (but I’ll try) I love guys like Jimmy Cheung, Oliver Coipel, Art Adams, Steve Skroce, Geof Darrow, Jae Lee, Steve McNiven, Fiona Staples, Jim Lee. Great inkers like Scott Williams and Tim Townsend. On a day to day basis I get huge inspiration from the guys in my studio; Joey Lee Cabral, PeZ!, Chad Fuller, Steve Crowe and Johnny Segura. All these guys remind me of how far I’ve got to go, but motivate me to get better.

 3)      What are your favorite comics?

I'm an old school Marvel guy, I grew up on X-Men and Avengers. I pretty much hate that I’m still a fan of Marvel. I'm still pissed they raised their prices to $3.99, but it’s the only place to buy Mighty Thor and Cap comics. Star Wars holds a special place in my heart and I’ll buy all their Dark Horse books. Right now I'm into Wild Blue Yonder, Massive, Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Saga, East/West, and Polarity. I buy way too many comics.

 4)      Where do you hope the studio is in 5 years?

Producing regular and on time comic books that are available for sale everywhere. It wouldn’t hurt for us to implement a health and wellness program so we wouldn’t be as fat then as we are now.

5)      If you could learn from any artist in any time who would it be and why?

Jim Lee because he is a legend of an artist and has handled his business extremely well.

6)      If you could assemble your perfect creative team to work on a comic book project (not produced by Urban Myth) who would they be and what would they work on?

I'd put Hickman and Coipel or Brian K Vaughn and Jimmy Cheung on a Star Wars book.

7)      Outside of drawing what are you interests and hobbies?

I’m a big MMA fan. I’ll watch any movie (even terrible ones) and read anything I can get my hands on.

8)      What is your favorite movie and why?

Empire Strikes Back is hands down my favorite. I didn’t know good guys could lose until I saw this movie. The good guys get their asses handed to them and Darth Vader is a gangster. It blew my mind as a kid and I’ve rooted for the bad guys ever since.

9)      Do you have any books being worked on at the moment?

A new Red Bratva with frequent writing partner and Jimmy Daze Comics chief Jimmy Portillo. A fun adventure book with Arturo Portillo and a sci-fi project with an up and coming writer Josh Fisher.

10)   What’s the best part about creating your own comics?

I can kill everyone and not go back to jail (allegedly).

Pictured here (center) with Jon Dodson and Cub Swanson.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment